When the Monastery Church was opened in 1881 it was scantily furnished, but the three high windows in the apse of the Church, representing the joyful, sorrowful and glorious mysteries of Christ were in place, and also the window in each of the eight side-chapels. These and practically all the others installed over the next twenty years, all funded by donors, were made in Dublin by Earley & Powells. In 1931 three beautiful Harry Clarke Studio windows were erected in the Monastery Infirmary and three more in 1942 in the College Chapel. We have 39 stained glass windows in all.
Visit the Saint of the Month’s page click here
BUY: Lumen Christi – The Stained Glass Windows of Mount Saint Joseph Abbey
By Laurence Walsh ocso, with a Foreword by Nicola Gordon Bowe, produced by Richard Purcell ocso, photography by Sean Curtin & James Fraher, design by Connie Scanlon xviii, 256pp, 315mm x 235mm, hard cover with dust jacket and bookmark ribbon Cistercian Press, Mount Saint Joseph Abbey, Roscrea, 2009 ISBN 978-1-900163-03-3 Price €35